Post-harvest equipment now certified for use in organic produce production in the EU.
PHILADELPHIA, November 16, 2023 – AgroFresh Solutions Inc., a global leader in AgTech innovation specializing in post-harvest produce freshness and quality solutions, is proud to announce that certain solutions from its Control-Tec™ equipment line have received the esteemed CAAE certification. This certification reflects AgroFresh’s commitment to delivering sustainable, efficient and organic solutions across the globe.
The CAAE certification is one of the leading certification bodies in Europe, specializing in organic production. CAAE operates globally, providing services that meet the diverse needs of the organic sector in Europe, North and South America, Africa and Asia.
“The CAAE certification for part of our Control-Tec equipment line solidifies our dedication to amplifying our organic offerings and promoting sustainability,” says Michael Hamby, Chief Commercial Officer at AgroFresh. “We are proud to offer a comprehensive range of solutions that help both organic and conventional packers meet their sustainability goals and contribute to a more environmentally conscious world.”
Control-Tec is a range of post-harvest treatment equipment for the application of fruit protection products and freshness management technologies at packer facilities, including solutions for packing lines, storage rooms or water treatment. This certification has been granted for five systems that are now compatible with EU organic production standards:
- Control-Tec™ Applicator Washer: This equipment facilitates post-harvest fruit washing using less water and eco-friendly detergents, minimizing environmental impact while helping to meet food safety standards. It also allows the use of technological adjuvants authorized for organic products.
- Control-Tec™ Degreening: This equipment expertly manages ripening and degreening parameters, such as ethylene, temperature, humidity and carbon dioxide levels, to preserve fruit quality, helping to ensure uniform degreening for citrus or the ripening of other climacteric fruits.
- Control-Tec™ Eco: A water recycling solution that extends the lifespan of treatment water during post-harvest processes, reducing water consumption by up to 60%*. It is a sustainable addition to drenchers and other water-intensive post-harvest processes.
- Control-Tec™ Pure Air: Utilizing ultraviolet (UV) light technology, this equipment filters ambient air in storage or transport rooms, minimizing growth of bacterial and fungal spores, enhancing fruit and vegetable preservation.
- Control-Tec™ Ultrahumidifier: An automatic system that controls relative humidity levels in storage chambers for fruits and vegetables, maintaining high humidity without wetting the produce, thus reducing weight loss and dehydration.
Ian MacKellar, Chief Operations Officer at AgroFresh, expressed his enthusiasm, saying, “This achievement is a testament to AgroFresh’s unwavering dedication to innovation and sustainability. The CAAE certification for these Control-Tec systems showcases our commitment to providing organic and conventional packers with the tools they need to enhance their post-harvest processes while reducing water usage and upholding food safety standards.”
For more information about AgroFresh and the Control-Tec product line, please visit https://www.agrofresh.com/solutions/control-tec/.
*Results may vary by jurisdiction and crop
AgroFresh is an AgTech innovator and global leader with a mission to prevent food loss/waste and conserve the planet’s resources by providing a range of science-based solutions, data-driven digital technologies and high-touch customer services. AgroFresh supports growers, packers and retailers with solutions across the food supply chain to enhance the quality and extend the shelf life of fresh produce. The AgroFresh organization has 40 years of post-harvest experience across a broad range of crops, including revolutionizing the apple industry with the SmartFresh™ Quality System for more than 20 years. This is powered by a comprehensive portfolio that includes plant-based coatings, equipment and proprietary solutions that help improve the freshness supply chain from harvest to the home. To learn more about AgroFresh, visit www.agrofresh.com.